Monday, April 26, 2021

This is not a Ghost Story, by Andrea Portes

 Savvy's Reviews

Not sure you want to dig into that new book? Let Savvy do the hard work for you! Here's her latest review!



This is Not a Ghost Story by Andrea Portes


I am not welcome. Somehow I know that. Something doesn’t want me here.


Daffodil Franklin has plans for a quiet summer before her freshman year at college, and luckily, she’s found the job that can give her just that: housesitting a mansion for a wealthy couple.


But as the summer progresses and shadows lengthen, Daffodil comes to realize the house is more than it appears. The spacious home seems to close in on her, and as she takes the long road into town, she feels eyes on her the entire way, and something tugging her back.


What Daffodil doesn’t yet realize is that her job comes with a steep price. The house has a long-ago grudge it needs to settle . . . and Daffodil is the key to settling it. (GoodReads.com)


First of all, add this to the stunning covers collection because ooooh it’s aesthetic. (Insert sparkle emoji here.)  I snatched this one up right away. This book is as candid as I have ever seen and I absolutely love it. We follow Daffodil Franklin in her stream of consciousness narrative, which can be annoying to most readers but let me tell you… Daffy and I are one hive mind. Have you ever read a book and thought to yourself “I’m not entirely convinced I didn’t write this in my sleep?” Because that’s what this book did for me. 


We have all been Daffy at one point or another, struggling through the toughest parts of life, trying to find meaning after something devastating. And what do we do in these instances? We punish ourselves just like Daffy does in this novel. What I love about this book, however, is that this is a story of heart and soul redemption. At its core this book was a haunted house full of regret and sorrow, but you’re never going to want to put it down. 


It’s fast paced in a smooth jazz kind of way (figure that one out) and will have you questioning your own sanity at every turn (which we all know is my favorite kind of Sunday afternoon entertainment.) all while moving your glasses when you turn your back or opening all the cupboard doors when you leave the room. 


We’re all twisted in a way. Just enjoy it and embrace it. Pick up this book and tell me you don’t get yourself confused with Miss Daffodil Franklin. I will definitely be adding this one to my personal library. 


Savvy B. is an avid Young Adult fiction superfan. 
Savvy's Reviews will be archived here, so you can catch up on all her thoughts on her latest reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Horror Hotel, by Victoria Fulton & Faith McClaren

  Savvy's Reviews Not sure you want to dig into that new book? Let Savvy do the hard work for you! Here's her latest review!     Hor...