Monday, March 8, 2021

We Were Liars, By E. Lockhart

 Savvy's Reviews

Not sure you want to dig into that new book? Let Savvy do the hard work for you! Here's her latest review!



We Were Liars by E. Lockhart


A beautiful and distinguished family.

A private island.

A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.

A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.

A revolution. An accident. A secret.

Lies upon lies.

True love.

The truth.


Read it… and if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


How… how do I even begin to talk about this book? I picked it up because, after seven years people are still talking about it. It’s all over booktok and bookstagram (both of which the Asheboro TeenZone is now a part of… shameless plug) as a book that “ruined me” or it’s part of trends matched with other books that “will tear your soul apart”. So I have to say… I’m intrigued. 


Now I’m not one to pick up the most popular book and rush to read it… but I gotta say… the longevity of this book’s popularity is just mind boggling. So how do I begin? Perhaps… I will just lie. 


From the moment I started this book I was uninterested. Not what you were expecting was it? Everything I had read about this book said “no matter what, do not stop” which is not the kind of book I usually want to support. A book that you have to wait until the ending for it to get good? No way. That’s just a waste of time. But let me tell you… this book right here is the reason I can never put a book down, no matter how bad it gets.


I trudged through this book for a month or two, putting it down and picking it back up again when I saw a new post or TikTok about it. I was never invested in any of the characters or their luxury lifestyle on their private island. This novel is one where your sympathy for the characters really has to grow on you. I believe you are meant to hate them at first and by the end you find they are hanging on to your heart. That’s what most of this book is about really, looking beyond the surface of the glitz and the glam and really seeing what lies at the bottom of the ocean. 


We have an unreliable narrator throughout this whole story but it really lends itself to the message and the twist ending. By the time I finished this book I was in tears and my jaw was bruised from the way my mouth flew open as the lies began to unravel. 


For fans of Taylor Swift’s “Last Great American Dynasty”, I have to say… against my better judgement, I highly recommend this book. It won the GoodReads’ Choice Award in 2014 and is still being talked about today for a reason. If you’re skeptical… you should be. Sometimes the truth and lying go hand in hand.


Savvy B. is an avid Young Adult fiction superfan. 
Savvy's Reviews will be archived here, so you can catch up on all her thoughts on her latest reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Horror Hotel, by Victoria Fulton & Faith McClaren

  Savvy's Reviews Not sure you want to dig into that new book? Let Savvy do the hard work for you! Here's her latest review!     Hor...