Monday, April 5, 2021

Bone Gap, by Laura Ruby

 Savvy's Reviews

Not sure you want to dig into that new book? Let Savvy do the hard work for you! Here's her latest review!


Amazon.com: Bone Gap (9780062317629): Ruby, Laura: Books

I wanted to like this one. Believe me… trust me… I wanted to like this one. I love the idea of Magical Realism as a genre. But this book was an absolute trudge to get through. It took a long time to get interesting and even longer to grab my attention. 


I almost gave up on it several times but I actually needed to read this one for a school assignment so I pushed through hoping that something magical was about to happen and I’d end up falling head over heels for this book. 


Everyone knows the town of Bone Gap, Illinois is full of gaps—gaps to trip you up, gaps to slide through so you can disappear forever. (Literally, apparently. This is what really grabbed my attention about this book.) So when young, beautiful Roza went missing, the people of Bone Gap weren’t surprised. (Are you serious? Why not?!) After all, it wasn’t the first time that someone had slipped away and left Finn and Sean O’Sullivan on their own. Just a few years before, their mother had high-tailed it to Oregon for a brand new guy, a brand new life. That’s just how things go, the people said. Who are you going to blame?


*SPOILERS* 

Finn knows that’s not what happened with Roza. He knows she was kidnapped, ripped from the cornfields by a dangerous man whose face he cannot remember. (This is where the book really lost me.)  But the searches turned up nothing, and no one believes him anymore. Not even Sean, who has more reason to find Roza than anyone, and every reason to blame Finn for letting her go. (I personally believe that if you’re in love with someone and you give up on finding them after a measly four weeks… you couldn’t have really loved that person in the first place…)


I cannot, no matter how much I try, give up on a book I don’t like. I can probably count the number of times that I’ve put a book back with no intention of ever picking it back up again on one hand. I’m always afraid that I’m just a page away from the most magnificent book ever written. The hidden gem. 


But in this novel, I couldn’t find myself caring about the characters. I just had no sympathy for them. It didn’t make a lot of sense even though the bones of an excellent book are there, it’s just in the wrong skeleton. It has real potential. Maybe it would make a better movie, but it’s personally not a book that I will pick up again.



Savvy B. is an avid Young Adult fiction superfan. 
Savvy's Reviews will be archived here, so you can catch up on all her thoughts on her latest reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Horror Hotel, by Victoria Fulton & Faith McClaren

  Savvy's Reviews Not sure you want to dig into that new book? Let Savvy do the hard work for you! Here's her latest review!     Hor...