Monday, June 15, 2020

Blackbird Vol. 1



undefined

Blackbird Vol. 1 by Sam Humphries


Okay. I’m not going to lie. I picked up this graphic novel purely because of the stunning neon cover and artwork. I was not disappointed with its contents either. In Blackbird Volume One we meet Nina Rodriguez who is convinced there is a hidden magical world hiding parallel to her own in Los Angeles, California. And when an all too familiar giant beast kidnaps her sister, Nina must confront her mysterious past to get her sister back and take back her disaster of a life.


This neo-noir fantasy is striking and gorgeous from cover to cover. I really wish I could get a giant blown up poster of the cover of this book. The story is a little rushed, which I find happens often with graphic novels and really leaves me wishing there was just more to it. I’m still very confused on the dynamics of this storyline. The artwork really is the saving grace of this collection.


This graphic novel depends on its visuals to tell the story, but you can really feel Nina’s rage and emotion and the action really jumps off the page. There’s definitely more to come from this story and I’ll be eagerly awaiting its next installment (while hunting down a neon poster of Nina Rodriguez – let me know if you find one!)


Savvy is an avid Young Adult fiction superfan.
Savvy's Reviews will be archived here, so you can catch up on all her thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Horror Hotel, by Victoria Fulton & Faith McClaren

  Savvy's Reviews Not sure you want to dig into that new book? Let Savvy do the hard work for you! Here's her latest review!     Hor...