Monday, May 11, 2020

Here there are Monsters, by Amelinda Berube




“How many times do you have to rescue somebody before they figure out how to save themselves.”

 

Here There Are Monsters is perfect for the Goosebumps generation. It has everything we are used to being scared of. A disappearance, scratches on the basement window, and worst of all, a hideous creature capable of anything your imagination can create!

 

Looking forward to a fresh start, Skye and her sister, Deirdre, are unfortunately growing apart when they move to a new town with their parents. Skye can’t grow up fast enough while Deirdre is still stuck playing pretend in the woods behind their house. But there is something lurking in these woods and if they aren’t careful Skye and Deirdre will pay the ultimate price.

 

“I told you, I didn’t have any choice! What was I going to do, explain this to my parents? ‘Oh, sorry, Mom, I can’t be grounded right now. I have to go do the bidding of the monsters in the woods.’ You’ve seen them now; you know I didn’t have any choice! They have my sister!”

 

Nail biting and dramatic until the final sentence. It’s been a long time since I actually had to put a book down at 1:00 am because it was freaking me out! Amelinda Bérubé does a great job in her sophomore novel about two sisters and the things we would, and maybe wouldn’t, do for family and the monsters that stalk us all.

 Savvy Harn is an avid young adult book superfan and her latest review can be found at http://randolphlibrary.libguides.com/c.php?g=247624&p=1649881

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Horror Hotel, by Victoria Fulton & Faith McClaren

  Savvy's Reviews Not sure you want to dig into that new book? Let Savvy do the hard work for you! Here's her latest review!     Hor...